Vainsteins wins, Ivanov crashes at Tirreno-Adriatico
By VeloNews Interactive wire services, Copyright 2001 AFP
Latvia’s Romans Vainsteins won the sixth stage of the Tirreno-Adriatico cycle race Monday, a 136km run from Torre San Patrizio to Monte San Pietrangeli.
Vainsteins defeated Swiss rider Markus Zberg in a sprint finish but the conclusion was marred by the fall of overnight race leader Sergei Ivanov of Russia who had to be taken to hospital after tumbling 500m from the finish.
Ivanov was being treated at Fermo Hospital where he was undergoing tests while Italian cyclist Lope Boselli was also treated for injuries sustained in the same incident. Ivanov was credited with finishing the stage in the same time as the lead group, but is not expected to start Tuesday’s stage.
1. Romans Vainsteins (Lat) Domo Farm Frites 3:32:33
2. Marcus Zberg (Swi), Rabobank
3. Marco Serpellini (I), Lampre-Daikin
4. Biagio Conte (I), Saeco
5. Mariano Piccoli (I), Lampre-Daikin
6. Davide Rebellin (I), Liquigas
7. Paolo Bettini (I), Mapei-Quick Step
8. Steffen Wesemann (G), Telekom
9. Fabio Sacchi (I), Saeco
10. Gianluca Bortolami (I), Tacconi-Vini Caldirola, all s.t.
1. Sergei Ivanov (Rus) Fassa Bortolo 20:03:53
2. Roberto Petito (I), Fassa Bortolo, at 0:01
3. Gabriele Colombo (I), Cantina Tollo, at 0:02
4. David Plaza (Sp), Festina, at 0:03
5. Davide Rebellin (I), Liquigas, s.t.
6. Paolo Savoldelli (I), Saeco, at 0:06
7. Michael Boogerd (Nl), Rabobank, at 0:08
8. Ruslan Ivanov (Mol), Alessio, at 0:13
9. Beat Zberg (Swi), Rabobank, at 0:16
10. Nathan O’Neill (Aus), Panaria, at 0:20