Saxo Bank-Sunguard’s Alberto Contador won the Tour of Catalunya on Sunday after the seventh and final stage.
RadioShack’s Levi Leipheimer, who had been battling Contador for the overall lead, was forced out of the Tour of Catalunya due to food poisoning.
Samuel Dumoulin (Cofidis) won the stage, a 124.5km ride from Parets del Valles to Barcelona, for his second win of the race.
For 28-year-old Contador it was his second overall success in three races this season, having won the Tour of Murcia.
However, it will be a bittersweet win as the UCI announced earlier this week it would appeal the Spanish cycling federation’s decision to acquit him of doping allegations.
The Spaniard had tested positive for minute traces of the banned muscle-building substance clenbuterol during last July’s Tour de France, which he went on to win.
But Contador was cleared to compete when the Spanish cycling federation (RFEC)last month rescinded an initial decision to hand down a one-year ban, accepting the rider’s claim that he had unknowingly eaten drug-contaminated meat and was therefore not negligent.
Stage 7: Parets del Valles-Barcelona (124.5 km)
- 1. Samuel Dumoulin (FRA), Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne, 2:33:55
- 2. Rigoberto Uran Uran (COL), Sky, s.t.
- 3. Kenny De Haes (BEL), Omega Pharma-Lotto, s.t.
- 4. Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (ESP), Movistar, s.t.
- 5. Antonio Leal Cardoso Manuel (POR), Radioshack, s.t.
Final Overall Standings
- 1. Alberto Contador Velasco (ESP), Saxo Bank-Sungard, 29:24:42
- 2. Michele Scarponi (ITA), Lampre-ISD, at 0:23
- 3. Daniel Martin (IRL), Team Garmin-Cervelo, at 0:35
- 4. Christopher Horner (USA), Team Radioshack, at 0:35
- 5. Rigoberto Uran Uran (COL), Sky, at 0:38