While the Web-based cycling community was all a-Twitter over the recent theft and return of Lance Armstrong’s time trial bike, another cyclist has suffered a bigger loss of personal property, but did not discover it until he returned from the recent Amgen Tour of California.
Salt Lake City Police have issued an appeal for the public’s help in recovering items stolen in a burglary at the home of Garmin-Slipstream’s David Zabriskie.
According to police, the break-in occurred while Zabriskie was in California for the recent Amgen Tour.
Police also issued a partial list of items stolen and asked for help in their recovery, particularly if any turn up in local pawnshops or on eBay.
Among those items stolen from Zabriskie’s home are:
• Black 2008 Subaru Outback, Utah plate A189NC
• Black 2006 Toyota Scion, Utah plate 094VWM
• Giro D Italia Race Medal (approx. 6″ circumference)
• Olympic Seiko watch
• Beijing Olympic ring (silver) with initials “DZ” engraved ($4,000)
• Olympic Time Trial Bike, plus 12 other bikes (combined value of $100,000)
• Cervelo (black/red) bike frame – team issued ($5000)
• Tag Heuer watch ($6,000)
• Bose Speaker/Receiver System ($15,000)
• Sony 52″ flat screen TV ($4,000)
• Two Mac Books and one Mac desktop, plus hard drive ($8,000)
• A pair of Space legs, a recovery compression system for legs ($5,000)
• 7 Marvel sideshow statues ($11,000)
According to police, the Marvel sideshow statues are distinctive in that they stand two- to three feet tall and are very heavy. The stolen statues were of: “Hellboy” pistol figurine, “Ash”Army of Darkness, “Tomb Raider” Lara Croft, “The Punisher,” “Alien,” “Ironman” Limited Edition, and a “Gears of War” character.
Anyone with any information on this burglary or the location of the items is asked to call the Tips for Cash line at (801) 799-INFO (4636). Please reference case #09-32767.