The Amgen Tour of California will be expanded in 2009, covering more than 800 miles over nine days and visiting 16 host cities, race presenter AEG announced Wednesday.
The fourth Amgen Tour will begin February 14 with a road stage in Sacramento — a first for the race — and finish in Escondido on February 22. Also for the first time, the riders will cross the Golden Gate Bridge at the beginning of stage 3.
The race will visit eight new locales — Davis, Santa Cruz, Merced, Clovis, Visalia, Paso Robles, Rancho Bernardo and Escondido — along with standbys Sacramento, Santa Rosa, Sausalito, San Jose, Modesto, Solvang, Santa Clarita and Pasadena.
“Each year, we strive to make the Amgen Tour of California better,” said Andrew Messick, president of AEG Sports. “And after getting input from riders and fans last year, we decided to expand the race to better showcase the great state of California.
“For the first time, the Amgen Tour of California will take place over nine days, we will make our first visit to the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada, and visit San Diego County for what promises to be another exciting conclusion to the race.”
Stages for the 2009 Amgen Tour of California include:
- Stage 1, Saturday, Feb. 14 – Sacramento
- Stage 2, Sunday, Feb. 15 – Davis to Santa Rosa
- Stage 3, Monday, Feb. 16 – Sausalito to Santa Cruz
- Stage 4, Tuesday, Feb. 17 – San Jose to Modesto
- Stage 5, Wednesday, Feb. 18 – Merced to Clovis
- Stage 6, Thursday, Feb. 19 – Visalia to Paso Robles
- Stage 7, Friday, Feb. 20 – Solvang (individual time trial)
- Stage 8, Saturday, Feb. 21 – Santa Clarita to Pasadena
- Stage 9, Sunday, Feb. 22 – Rancho Bernardo to Escondido
For more information on the 2009 Amgen Tour of California, see www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.